In Korea, renting a car is easy. If you plan to travel around metropolitan cities, you are recommended to use public transportation instead of a car. However, for longer journeys to many provincial sites or especially around Jeju Island renting may prove to be a better option. The largest car rental services in Korea are Kumho Rent a Car and AVIS Rent a Car. Both companies have dozens of branches throughout Korea and have alliances with companies that have networks all around the world. As long as there is a branch, you can rent a car from anywhere in the world including Korea. Car rental service is available at Incheon International Airport , Gimpo Airport , provincial airports, KTX Station, major railway stations, and express bus terminals throughout Korea. For branch information, go to the websites of the car rental companies.
[Checkpoints Before Renting a Car]
1. Driver's license and passport
You must have an international driver's license or a valid driver's license issued in Korea.
To drive a car carrying up to nine passengers, a type 2 driver's license is required. In order to drive larger vehicles accommodating ten or more passengers, you need a type 1 driver's license.
A passport is necessary to check identification. A copy of your passport may also be needed to complete your request.
The following are qualifications by AVIS. Most car rental companies in Korea require similar qualifications.
* Compact/economy: At least 21 years old, at least one year of driving experience.
* Full-size, 4WD: At least 26 years old, at least three years of driving experience.
* SUV/RV, mini bus carrying up to 9 or 12 passengers: At least 26 year old, at least three years of driving experience.
* Up to 15 passengers: At least 30 years old, at least five years of driving experience.
3. Additional drivers
If people other than the renter plan to drive the vehicle, the additional drivers must be registered for insurance coverage.
Insurance coverage is included in the charges for all rental cars. The only coverage not included is the collision damage waiver (CDW). It can be added when you pick up your car from the rental company or when making a reservation. If you subscribe to CDW, you will also be covered for the repair cost of the rental car if you cause an accident. However, you will be charged for 50 percent of the loss in sales to the car rental company during the time required for repair. For instance, if your rental car requires three days of repair due to an accident (caused by you), you will need to pay 75,000 won or 50% of 150,000 won (one-day rental charge 50,000 won * 3 = 150,000 won).
- 1. Joining the website of a car rental company may provide you with many benefits. You can get a 30~50% discount.
- 2. If there is a particular car model you want, reserve it in advance, especially during the summer holiday season from mid-July to mid-August. During the rest of the year, cars are readily available and reservations aren't necessary. Even if you make a reservation, there is no need to pay a deposit. You can make the full payment when you pick up the car. If an extra charge is incurred, you need to pay it when you return the car.
- 3. Rental cars are less than 2 ~3 years old. If your car has many dents and appears old, ask for another car.
- 4. When you pick up a car at the airport, you need to inspect it carefully, both inside and outside, together with an employee of the car rental company. The contract requires you to detail in writing the condition of the car. If you record all scratches and dents on the car, it will be easy to prove when you return the car whether or not damage already existed.
- 5. When you return the car, you should leave the same amount of fuel in the tank as when you picked up the car. If you fill it up above the original level, you will not be reimbursed for the extra amount. You are recommended to use a gas station near your return point.
- 6. If you reserve a rental car over the Internet, there is no need to pay a deposit. Even if you do pay a deposit, the full amount will be returned if you cancel the reservation at least 24 hours before the pick-up time. If you cancel it in less than 24 hours before the pick-up time, 10 percent of the full charge will be deducted from the deposit.
[Renting a Car at Jeju International Airport]
Car rental desks are located at the Arrival Lobby (1 st floor) of the Domestic Terminal at Jeju International Airport . Four companies operate here and prices are nearly all the same. Cars can be reserved and rented at these desks.
① Inquire at the Jeju International Airport car rental desk and fill out a rental contract → ② Check the car condition and fuel level together with an employee of the car rental company and sign the contract → ③ Drive around Jeju Island → ④ Check the car condition and fuel level together with an employee of car rental company → ⑤ Return the car to the Jeju International Airport parking lot.
|Car rental company
|Jeju Rent a Car
|Kumho Rent a Car
|Jeju Car Rental Union
|AVIS Rent a Car
[Car Rental Companies]
Avis Rent a Car
Phone inquiries and reservations: 1544-1600 (Korean only)
Website inquiries and reservations: www.avis.co.kr (Korean, English)
Kumho Rent a Car
Phone inquiries and reservations: 1588-1230 (Korean only)
Website inquiries and reservations: www.kumhorent.com (Korean , English)