Travel to every corner of the South Coast with Admiral Yi Sun-sin

Day 1:Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea Promotion Center-Lunch-Chungminsa-Jinnamgwan-Shipbuilding Yard-Suncheon Japanese Castle-Dinner and free time

1. Time travel to Marine City of the future, Expo 2012 Promotion Center

The official mascots of the Yeosu Expo

Electronic visitor book (1st floor) Expo Digital Gallery (2nd floor)

Tips

  • Use the contents of the Promotion Center to imagine the positive impact the Yeosu Expo will have on Korea’s marine industry and Yeosu as a marine IT city
  • Take a souvenir photo with the Expo mascots, Yeony and Suny

Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea will be held for three months from May 12 to August 12, 2012, under the theme, “The Living Ocean and Coast.” The global fair will give Yeosu the momentum it needs to become the world’s first marine IT city and the world’s fifth marine power, achievements that will result in significant spillover effects in diverse areas, including the economy, science, and technology. The Shanghai Expo resulted in 3.5 times more economic benefits than the Beijing Olympics. What are the benefits expected from the Yeosu Expo? The answer to that question can be found at the Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea Promotion Center, which features the history of world expos, the competitive bidding process, tourist information related to Yeosu, and the vision of the Yeosu Expo.

The five pillars used to sustain the Promotion Center building symbolize the five oceans, and the building’s unique lighting scheme represents Yeosu citizens’ hope for the future. The film screened in the video room on the first floor of the Promotion Center showcases the beauty of Yeosu and the Expo’s advanced design. The second floor takes four themes as its inspiration and displays a digital ocean, truly capturing the Yeosu Expo’s main theme and concept, “The Living Ocean and Coast.” The displays show the significance of the Yeosu Expo and the computer room allows the public to learn more about the oceans. The deck on the second floor gives an open view of the ocean garden, which is 13 times larger than a soccer field. Children’s messages of hope for the Yeosu Expo are on display in clear cylinders.

The Yeosu Expo mascots, Yeony and Suny, personified planktons, stand outside the Promotion Center, welcoming visitors. The “Yeo” in “Yeony” refers to “open,” and the “Su” in “Suny” means “water” and “excellent.” Ten streetlights and five landscape lights surrounding the Promotion Center are powered by the wind power generator located in the garden behind the building, an initiative for environmental conservation.

Sujeong-dong, Yeosu, Jeollanam-do detail view

2. Chungminsa. First to enshrine Admiral Yi’s tablets

Chungminsa

Portrait of Admiral Yi

Tips

  • Learn how rituals honoring Admiral Yi are performed
  • Take a look around the relics museum

Chungminsa is surrounded by the foothills of Maraesan Mountain. It is place where rituals honoring Admiral Yi are performed, even now. Visitors to Chungminsa first see a large park on a gentle slope where locals rest or stroll. The red spiked gate a few minutes away on the hill hints at the piousness of this place. Pass through the red gate and you will see the stone stairs that lead you to the shrine where Admiral Yi’s portrait is kept.

Built in 1601 by the king, Chungminsa is the first shrine erected to honor Admiral Yi. While Chungryeolsa in Tongyeong and Hyeunchungsa in Asan are also dedicated to Admiral Yi, Chungminsa was built five years earlier than the former and 103 years earlier than the latter. At Chungminsa, the portrait of Admiral Yi is in the center, and Yi Eok-ki and Ahn Hong-guk, who joined Admiral Yi to fight against Japan, are on his left and right, respectively. Chungminsa was destroyed in 1868, but was rebuilt later in 1873.

The museum located to the right of the park is guarded by a bronze statue of armor-clad Admiral Yi, who holds a sword high in the air. Although most of the items on display are replicas, visitors can take a close look at diverse documents related to Admiral Yi, his Turtle Ship, and the weapons and objects used during the war. The cannons and guns used by the Korean navy during the war are displayed outside the museum.

1829 Deokchung-dong, Yeosu, Jeollanam-dodetail view

3. Jinnamgwan, Korea’s largest single-story wooden building

Jinnamgwan is the headquarters of the Left Jeolla Naval District. Admiral Yi observed the ocean and held meetings in preparation for Japanese invasion at Jinnamgwan. Standing in front of Jinnamgwan, you may be overwhelmed by the gigantic size of the building, as it is the largest single-story wooden building in Korea (except for the royal palaces). It measures 75 m in length and 14 m in height, and is supported by sixty-eight 2.4 m-round pillars. The foundation stones in their natural form were intended to give the building a more natural look. The nail holes on the columns were made by the Japanese who installed windows between the columns in order to use the building as a school.

Stiles in a clusterSixty-eight columns of Jinnamgwan

Jinnamgwan

Tips

  • Discover the unique characteristics of Korea’s largest single-story wooden building
  • Learn about the historical significance of Yeosu in relation to Admiral Yi (Admiral Yi is on the 100-won coin)

The checkered floor pattern and the exposed rafters on the high ceiling of Jinnamgwan give a sense of openness. The two dragons, each with a magic bead in its mouth, painted on each crossbeam protect the building’s interior. The building was constructed as a warning to the enemy, as the word “Jinnam” in “Jinnamgwan” literally means “to suppress the south.” The building was also used to receive central government officials. It is believed that there used to be seven stone statues standing in the courtyard that were used as part of the strategy to defend the building against the Japanese army, but only one of them remains now. The museum on the site explains how Jinnamgwan was built and the methods used by the Korean navy to defend the country against Japanese invasion. The uniforms of the Korean navy are also on display.

472 Gunja-dong Yeosu, Jeollanam-do detail view

4.The yard where Turtle Ships were built and repaired

Gulgang, Historical shipbuilding yard

When it comes to Admiral Yi, the first thing that comes to mind is the Turtle Ship. While the two are inseparable, the ship is actually not Admiral Yi’s invention. The earliest historical source documenting the Turtle Ship is the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty written in 1415, from which scholars surmised that the Turtle Ship first came into existence in the late Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392). Nevertheless, Admiral Yi is noted as being the one who made the best Turtle Ship, using it to defeat the enemy during the Korea-Japan War of the 16th century. He also built more advanced ships with General Na Dae-yong.

Admiral Yi built and repaired his famous turtle ships in Sijeon-dong, Yeosu. The Panokseon, a famous Korean warship in the Joseon Dynasty, was also built there.

Standing at the entrance to the shipbuilding yard the first thing you will see is a rock with “Shipbuilding Village” engraved on it and a couple of “beoksu,” Korean totem poles made of stone or wood. The stone beoksu serve as village boundary markers and guardians. Unfortunately, the beoksu in the shipbuilding yard are severely damaged.

Upon entering the shipbuilding yard, you will see the “gulgang” first. This circular stone moorage is roughly 42 m in diameter and large enough to accommodate two Turtle Ships. In addition, the hut where weapons were made and repaired has also been restored at the site. While some believe the 1.4 m-tall stone pole is a mooring post, scholars think it may have actually served as an ocean guardian.

ArmoryBeoksuMooring post

There were three separate excavations of the shipbuilding yard in Yeosu. The first was conducted by a team of museum researchers affiliated with Sunchon University in 1944; the second was by a Republic of Korea Naval Academy excavation team in 1980; and the third was by a group of researchers from Myongji University in 1985. The 565 relics that were discovered during the excavations are now housed at the Gwangju National Museum, but will be moved to the Yeosu Museum when it is completed. The shipbuilding yard in Yeosu is designated as National Historic Site No. 392.

Tips

  • Picture a Turtle Ship berthed in the shipbuilding yard – what would it look like?
  • What do you think the 1.4 m-tall stone post was used for?

708 Sijeon-dong, Yeosu, Jeollanam-dodetail view

5. Suncheon Japanese Castle, A base built by the Japanese army

Cheonsugidan

The restored moat between the parking lot and Munji The ocean as seen from Cheonsugidan

Suncheon Japanese Castle is a three-story outpost built with stone and mud by the Japanese army. Japanese General Konishi Yukinaga completed the castle in three months and stationed some 14,000 Japanese soldiers there to attack the southern region of Korea. The allied force – comprised of the Korean navy and the Ming Chinese navy led by Admiral Yi and Chen Lin, respectively –attacked the castle twice with no success. Later the Japanese army was defeated by the Korean navy led by Admiral Yi on its way back to Japan in the famous Battle of Noryang.

The Japanese army built 30 castles in Korea during the Korea-Japan War and 29 of them were in Gyeongsangdo; the Suncheon Japanese Castle is the only one in Jeollado.

The Suncheon Japanese Castle stands on land measuring 120,595 ㎡. Its outer wall is 2,502 m in length and its inner wall is 1, 342 m in length. Consisting of three outside mud and stone castles, three main stone castles, and 12 castle gates, the castle is circumscribed by a moat and linked to land by a bridge. Munji and Cheonsugidan and part of the moat and wall were restored during the first-phase of a restoration project that began in 2007. The castle was in an ideal location at that time as it was surrounded by water on three sides. Now the moat is filled in, which makes the castle accessible in all directions.

The entrance of the parking lot is decorated with a painting by a Chinese artist who came to Korea with the Ming Chinese army during the Korea-Japan War in the 16th century. The painting commemorates the defeat of the Japanese army.

“ㄱ”-shaped Munji

Pines growing on the restored fortress wall below Cheonsugidan

Tips

  • Learn about the castles Japan built in Korea
  • Find out how Korean castles differ from their Japanese counterparts

A part of the painting vividly captures the allied force of the Korean navy and the Ming Chinese army attacking the Suncheon Japanese Castle in an amphibious operation.

The moat above the parking lot was filled with seawater in the past, but is now filled with freshwater and freshwater plants like lotus.

Take a stroll along the path to the left of the moat for a minute or so and you will see the first Munji, the main entrance between the main castle and the outer fortress. The second Munji is some 50 m away from the first one and to the left.

The second Munji is a “ㄱ”-shaped entrance that leads to the pine forest 300 m away and the giant fortress wall on the left. Some portions of the fortress wall and Cheonsugidan were restored. Cheonsugidan is the platform on which the Cheongu building stood.

The Cheongsu building, which looks like a three-story building, is actually a five-story building that gives a panoramic view of the village and the ocean behind the roads and the industrial complex. Go down along the fortress wall and take a close look around Suncheon Japanese Castle.

Sinseong Village, Sinseong-ri, Haeryong-myeon, Suncheon, Jeollanam-dodetail view

Day 2:Gwangyang Steelworks-Lunch-Namhae Chungryeolsa Shrine-Gwaneumpo, Site of Admiral Yi’s death-Yi Sun-sin Theater (3D film)-Dinner and free time

1. Visit the world’s largest steel mill, Gwangyang Steelworks

Scenery of Gwangyang Steelworks Community Center, the meeting point of group visitors Inside the Gwangyang Steelworks plant

Gwangyang Steelworks is Korea’s second oldest steel mill after the one in Pohang that was built in the 1970s during Korea’s industrial revolution. As the most in demand steelmaker in the world, Gwangyang Steelworks is equipped with the most advanced, environment-friendly facilities. Gwangyang was originally a fishing village. Since 1982, however, Gwangyang has continued to expand its area by reclamation and exploding 11 out of 13 islands. As a result, Gwangyang Steelworks is 5.5 times bigger than Yeoui Island in Seoul. Dubbed the “steel mill on the sea,” Gwangyang Steelworks is the largest single steel plant and produces over 18 million tons of steel every year that is used in automobiles, ships, electronics, etc. The plant uses its own exclusive technology and contributes significantly to national economic growth.

The tour begins with the viewing of a 12-minute promotional film about the history of the plant and the steel manufacturing process in the 330-seat Multi-purpose Hall

A bus then takes you to the plant where you first learn how molten iron flowing from the blast furnace becomes steel. You follow the process all the way through, observing liquid iron cast into long slabs, which are then cold rolled into sheet metal.

Inside the Gwangyang Steelworks plant 熱延工程を終えたコイル

Tips

  • Discover how a quiet fishing village could be transformed into the world’s biggest steel mill
  • Find out how a coil of rolled steel is made and used in everyday life

The coil of 1.2 mm-thick hot rolled steel may look like a roll of toilet paper, but it is in fact a high value-added 1 km-long and 21-ton product worth 6 million won. The thick cloud of white smoke coming from the chimney is not harmful gas but the steam produced while cooling the steel with water. The heat of the coiled steel rolls turns the plant into a gigantic sauna. Workers are rarely seen in the plant, as processes are carried out using an automated production system. The plant is open to group visitors on weekdays (Monday through Friday) and individual visitors only once a week, on Sunday. Individual visitors should take the shuttle bus in front of the POSCO Welfare Center at 10 am on Sunday. Individual guided tours take about an hour.

700 Geumho-dong, Gwangyang, Jeollanam-dodetail view

2. Namhae Chungryeolsa, Temporary burial site for Admiral Yi

Namhae Chungryeolsa

Stele pavilion erected in commemoration of Admiral Yi

Tips

  • Discover why Admiral Yi is widely respected both in Korea and abroad
  • Compare modern defense strategies with those used during Admiral Yi’s time

Namhae Chungryeolsa is a shrine built to honor Admiral Yi after his death at the Battle of Noryang, which is why it is often referred to as “Noryang Chungryeolsa.” As it was the temporary burial site for Admiral Yi, a group of Confucian scholars built a small house here in 1632, 34 years after his death, to honor him. In 1658, the small house was replaced with the present shrine.

Yi Sun-sin was buried here for a time before he was moved to Gogeum Island later on. His body was then moved to Geumseongsan Mountain in February 1599, and then to his final resting place on Eorasan Mountain in 1614. Chungryeolsa stands inside the outer gate above the management office. The tablet hung on the outer gate was a gift from King Hyeonjong in 1663. The Chungryeolsa stele is above the inner gate. The monument pavilion and the shrine are inside the inner gate.

Inscribed on the monument inside the pavilion is “The Tombstone of Yi Chungmugong.” The monument was erected by Park Gyeong-ji in 1663 and the epitaph inscribed on the monument was written by Song Si-yeol in 1661. Behind the shrine is the grave where Yi was temporarily buried.

Chungryeolsa is a kind of guardian shrine that keeps watch over the Noryang Strait. The Noryang Strait is just outside the outer gate, and it is there Admiral Yi was shot by a stray bullet. The Namhaedaegyo Bridge across the Noryang Strait has turned this quiet island village into a major tourist attraction. The village also has a life-size model of Admiral Yi’s Turtle Ship on display on the sea. The sunset between the Namhaedaegyo Bridge and the Turtle Ship dyes the sea red, creating an unforgettable scene.

350 Noryang-ri Seolcheon-myeon, Namhae-gun, Gyeongsangnam-dodetail view

3. Gwaneumpo, Site of Admiral Yi’s death

Cheommangdae, the pavilion with an open view of Gwaneumpo

Gwaneumpo (Historic Site No. 232) is the very place where Admiral Yi engaged in his final battle. The battle on Gwaneumpo, better known as the Battle of Noryang, is the naval campaign carried out on November 19, 1958 in which Admiral Yi led the allied force of 150 Korean and Ming Chinese ships to attack some 500 retreating Japanese warships.

The Battle of Noryang was fiercer than any other campaign Admiral Yi launched, as it was the one through which Admiral Yi was determined to put an end to the Korea-Japan War by sweeping the enemy troops. It was fatal for both sides. Admiral Yi was shot by a stray bullet on the sea of Gwaneumpo while chasing the retreating Japanese commander Konishi Yukinaga.

Multi-vision screen at the Yi Sun-sin Theater Entrance to Iraksa Tree-lined path leading to Iraksa

Gwaneumpo

Tip

  • Go up to Cheommangdae and appreciate the open view of Gwaneumpo, where Admiral Yi was killed by a stray bullet

Iraksa is the shrine built by Yi Hang-gwon, the 8th-generation descendant of Admiral Yi, in 1832, to honor Admiral Yi. The shrine consists of a pavilion with a monument inside and a tablet with the phrase, “A big star falls to the sea,” written on it, as well as a stele with an inscription written by Hong Seok-ju and another monument erected in 1973. Cheommangdae overlooks Gwaneumpo and Gwangyang Bay, as well as the monument erected at the entrance to Iraksa in commemoration of the 400th anniversary of Admiral Yi’s death. A beautiful path that stretches some 500 m in the woods links Iraksa to Cheommangdae.

San 125 Chamyeon-ri, Gohyeon-myeon, Namhae-gun, Gyeongsangnam-dodetail view

4. Yi Sun-sin Theater,Where the Battle of Noryang is revisited on film

Yi Sun-sin Theater

Turtle Ships on display Exhibition Hall in Yi Sun-sin Theater

Tip

  • Find out why Admiral Yi risked his life to capture the Japanese commander at the Battle of Noryang

Enjoy a dramatic film that vividly captures the Battle of Noryang at the Yi Sun-sin Theater. Opened in December 2008, the Yi Sun-sin Theater stands on a lot measuring 23,000 ㎡ and houses a 3D theater, an Exhibition Hall, a Tourist Information Office, and a shop that sells agricultural products. The 138-seat 3D theater is Korea’s first dome theater that features a wall-to-ceiling screen offering audiences more vivid images. The reclining chairs allow spectators to enjoy the 3D movie experience from every angle. The 3D glasses provided to visitors are big enough to fit over regular eyeglasses.

The Exhibition Hall, which consists of four sites, “Experience,” “Emotion,” “Understanding,” and “Remembrance,” presents the history of the Korea-Japan War, and facts about Admiral Yi’s life and the Turtle Ship, all of which help visitors understand in greater depth the life and times of Admiral Yi. You can enjoy a digital version of the Battle of Noryang on two multi-vision monitors, one placed on each side of the audience, which show the Korean navy on one side and the Japanese navy on the other, making the audience feel they are in the middle of the battle.

Day 3:Bamboo fishing weirs at Jijok Strait -Wanghubak Tree - Samcheonpo Port (lunch) -Mireuksan Mountain Aerial Lift -Dinner and free time

1. Bamboo fishing weirs at Jijok Strait, A traditional fish trap that uses natural features (Jijok Fishing Village)

Traditional fishing experience,Bamboo fishing weirs at Jijok Strait

Observation deck for viewing the bamboo fishing weirs

Tips

  • Learn about other kinds of traditional fishing methods other than the one using fishing weirs
  • Try to determine where Admiral Yi defeated his enemy by observing the tidal currents

Jijok Fishing Village has used bamboo weirs, a traditional fishing technique, for centuries. Jijok Strait between Namhae Island and Changseon Island is an ideal place for fishing weirs due to the fast tidal currents. Some 20 bamboo fishing weirs are installed in Jijok Strait to catch anchovies, pacific saury, gizzard shads, and shrimp, among others. The coastal areas of the village are rich in oysters and short-neck clams. Jijok Strait is particularly abundant with marine spoon worm (“gaebul” in Korean), which is known to be excellent for increasing stamina. The “V”-shaped bamboo fishing weir structures consist of over three hundred 10 m-long oak posts and bamboo fences. You can take a close look at the bamboo weir structures and fishing methods on the 100 m-long and 2 m-wide observation deck. Follow the road along the coast away from Changseongyo Bridge to get to the deck and appreciate the breathtaking sunset. Jijok Village offers diverse experience opportunities for visitors, such as boat fishing, barge fishing, mud flat fishing, and noodling.

291-12 Jijok-ri Samdong-myeon, Namhae-gun, Gyeongsangnam-dodetail view

2. Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island, A resting place for Admiral Yi

Wanghubak Tree Wanghubak Tree with 11 limbsDaecho Island behind the Wanghubak Tree

Tips

  • Find out what other things besides trees are designated as natural monuments in Korea
  • Learn about the meaning of old trees to village people

The Wanghubak Tree growing on farmland in Danhang Village on Changseon Island is believed to be about 500 years old. It is 8.6 m tall and its 11 limbs spread very wide. Legend has it that the tree started to grow 500 years ago from a mysterious seed an old couple found in a big fish they caught. The village people here treat the tree as sacred, performing rituals to honor the tree and ensure peace in the village and a large catch every year.

The area where the Wanghubak Tree grows boasts a dazzling view of two deserted islands and open rice paddies. It is particularly beautiful at the end of September and early October when the rice paddies turn into a golden sea sprinkled with white buckwheat flowers. The tree is also referred to as the “Admiral Yi Tree,” as it is believed that Yi often rested here. Admiral Yi unveiled his Turtle Ship at the Battle of Sacheon for the first time and won a landslide victory, but he was shot in the back. After the battle, Yi spent a night in Mojarangpo (assumed to be the Jumun-ri area in Yonghyeon-myeon) in Sacheon and had lunch under the tree the next day. The tree is designated as Natural Monument No. 299 for its ecological, folkloristic, and historical value.

669-1 Daebyeok-ri, Changseon-myeon, Hamhae-gun, Geongsangnam-dodetail view

3. Mireuksan Mountain Aerial Lift,For a panoramic view of Hallyeosudo

Hallyeosudo as seen from the top of Mireuksan Mountain

Hallyeosudo beyond the aerial lift Summit of Mireuksan Mountain

Tips

  • Find out what the three major naval battles were during the Korea-Japan War
  • Learn about Bongsudae and communication systems during the Joseon Dynasty

Mireuksan Mountain Aerial Lift is a major attraction in Tongyeong for the magnificent views it offers. The aerial lift system, which covers a distance of 1975 m, transports up to 1,800 passengers per hour in 48 eight-seater cabins. The open view of Hallyeosudo as seen from the cable car going up to the platform is breathtaking. Notably, Mireuksan Mountain Aerial Lift is the first in Korea to employ the bicable ropeway system.

The peak of Mireuksan Mountain is some 500 m or 20 minutes away from the aerial lift platform. The first place to stop for a great view on the way to the mountain peak is the Battle of Dangpo observation deck. “Dangpo” refers to the site where the Samdeok Port is located now. Admiral Yi and his fleet spent a night on Saryang Island and defeated 21 Japanese warships the next day at the Battle of Dangpo. The observation deck offers an open view of a series of islands that dot the sea, such as Yokjido, Chodo, and Yeondaedo on the left of Samdeok Port, and Yeosudolsan Island, Namhae Island, and Saryang Island on the right.

Mireuksan Bongsudae (Gyeongsangnam-do Monument No. 210) is the beacon tower that was used as an emergency communication tower between Dadaepo in Busan and Seoul. It sent and received signals from beacon towers in Geoje in the south and Wusan in Dosan-myeon in the north.

The spacious rocky area right above the beacon tower is the peak of Mireuksan Mountain (461 m) and the best place to enjoy the view of the aerial lift station and Hallyeosudo. The two green towers near the station support the cables and a gondola runs down the cable. The Donam Tourist Complex can be seen in the distance and Hallyeosudo can be seen right behind a hill and some islands, including Hansan Island, Sangjukdo Island, Hajukdo Island, and Hwado Island. The park created to commemorate the Battle of Hansan, Nammangsan Park, and Tongyeong City Hall, can be seen from across the sea. The flooded rice paddies in the Yasotgol Village look like a gigantic stained glass. They turn into a golden sea of rice in the fall, an impressive scene to behold.

349-1 Donam-dong, Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnam-dodetail view

Day 4:Tongyeong Port-Jeseungdang on Hansan Island-Sebyeonggwan-Chungryeolsa-Lunch-Departure

1. Jeseungdang on Hansan Island,The Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters

Jeseungdang

Lookout Tower in Jeseungdang Daehanmun Gate, the entrance to Jeseungdang

Tips

  • Find out about the other three naval campaigns considered to be among the world’s greatest
  • Memorize the poem “The Song of Hansan Island” by Admiral Yi Sun-sin

We cannot speak about Admiral Yi without mentioning Hansan Island and Jeseungdang. The Battle of Hansan Island is remembered as one of the world’s four greatest naval campaigns. Admiral Yi employed the crane formation tactic to defeat and capture over 60 enemy ships.

Jeseundang is the headquarters of the Three Provinces’ (Gyeongsang, Jeolla, and Chungcheong) Naval Forces. Admiral Yi was appointed the Commander of the Left Jeolla Naval District in 1592 and moved the headquarters from Yeosu to Hansan Island in July 1593 for strategic reasons. Admiral Yi served as the first commander-in-chief of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces for three years and nine months from August 1593 until his dismissal in February 1597. Jeseungdang served as the naval headquarters from 1593 until the death of Won Gyun, the successor Admiral Yi, in 1597, at the Battle of Chilcheonryang, Jeseungdang. As the name Tongyeong originated from “Tongjeyeong (naval headquarters),” it is a city closely related to Admiral Yi.

Pass the Jeseungdang ticket booth and follow the path along the coast for a while and you will see the well Admiral Yi and his men used. Unfortunately, however, the water in the well is now polluted and not drinkable. Daecheopmun Gate is located in front of the well, guarded by life-size figures of 16th century Korean navy officers.

Pass Daecheop Gate and Chungmumun Gate a minute away and you will see Jeseungdang and the lookout tower on the right. Jeseungdang features several wall paintings that depict the battles of Hansan Island, Sacheon, and Noryang. The poem “The Song of Hansan Island” written by Admiral Yi is hung on the lookout tower. The sea and the ships guided by the Turtle Lighthouse as seen from the Lookout Tower look so serene and peaceful, it is difficult to imagine so many battles took place here.

Behind Jeseungdang stands Hansanjeong, where Admiral Yi and his men are said to have practiced archery. Several monuments stand here, including one erected in commemoration of the restoration of Jeseungdang by Jo Gyeong, the 107th commander-in-chief of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces in 1739. A portrait of Admiral Yi is kept in Chungmusa.

875 Dueok-ri Hansan-myeon, Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnam-dodetail view

2. Sebyeonggwan,Part of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters

Sebyeonggwan

Wooden pillars of Sebyeonggwan Duryongpo Monument

Tips

  • Learn more about the Three Districts’ Naval Forces
  • Try to determine the differences between Jinnamgwan and Sebyeonggwan

The Three Provinces’ (Gyeongsang, Jeolla, and Chungcheong) Naval Forces Headquarters moved from Hansan Island to Goseong for a brief period of time. Although the new location was perfect to hide ships, in the end it proved to be a less than ideal place in strategic terms. Thus Lee Gyeong-jun, the 6th commander-in-chief of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces moved the headquarters to Duryongpo. Sebyeonggwan was completed in July 1605 as a lodging facility.

The word “Sebyeong” in “Sebyeonggwan” means “to wash weapons with the Milky Way.” Standing inside Sebyeonggwan is an octagonal pavilion with the Duryongpo Stele (Gyeonsangnamdo Tangible Cultural Asset No. 112) standing inside. It was erected by the 19th commander-in-chief, Gu In-hu, in 1625 to honor Lee Gyeong-Jun, the 6th commander-in-chief, who moved the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters to Duryongpo. Inscribed on the stele is Lee Gyeong-jun’s family background and career and the reason he moved the headquarters to Duryeongpo, as well as how the stele was erected. The monument was originally erected by the road near the sea, but was moved to the courtyard of Sebyeonggwan in 1904. In April 1996, the stele was moved once more to its present location after the completion of the pavilion.

Sebyeonggwan is an open building without any windows or walls. Along with Jinnamgwan in Yeosu, Sebyeonggwan is a wooden building with one of the largest floor areas among wooden buildings from the Joseon Dynasty. Sebyeonggwan served as part of the Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters for 290 years after its completion. It was designated as a Treasure in 1963, but its status was elevated to a National Treasure in 2002.

The Three Provinces’ Naval Forces Headquarters consisted of several buildings, including Sebyeonggwan, Baekhwadang, and Jeonghaejeong. However, all other buildings except Sebyeonggwan were destroyed under Japanese rule. The site of the headquarters (Historic Site No. 402) was occupied by public buildings and private houses before a restoration project was undertaken to save it. In 1987, Suhangru was restored. Tongyeong City will complete the restoration project soon, at which time the headquarters site will be fully returned to its former glory.

62 Munhwa-dong, Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnam-do詳細はこちら

3. Chungryeolsa, A shrine built to honor Admiral Yi Sun-shin

The shrine where the tablet of Admiral Yi is kept

The grave where Admiral Yi was buried temporarily The monument erected in commemoration of Admiral Yi in Chungryeolsa

Tips

  • Learn about the relationship between Korea and Ming China during the Korea-Japan War of the 16th century
  • Find out which relics related to Admiral Yi are designated as National Treasures or Treasures

Chungryeolsa was built in 1606, eight years after the Korea-Japan War, by the 7th commander-in-chief, Lee Un-ryong, to commemorate Admiral Yi Sun-shin’s loyalty and achievements. King Hyeonjong (who reigned from 1659-1674) called the shrine “Chungryeolsa,” and the name on the plate was written by Song Jun-gil.

Several shrines house Admiral Yi’s tablets, but Chungryeolsa in Tongyong is singled out for its historic value. While Hyeonchungsa in Asan is the largest shrine housing an Admiral Yi tablet, it was destroyed and later restored during the reign of regent Daewongun (1863-1873). Chungryeolsa in Tongyeong, however, remains in its original form.

Chungryeolsa consists of 17 buildings, including Dongseojae, Gyeongchungjae, Sungmudang, an Exhibition Hall and Ganghanru, and five gates. The camellia tree on the right of the Management Office is over 400 years old and has been designated a protected tree by the Korean government.

The first thing that attracts attention in the Exhibition Hall to the left of Gwanghanru is the eight gifts sent by the emperor of the Ming Dynasty after Chinese general Chen Lin’s report about Yi’s stunning feats. The eight gifts include the seal that symbolizes Yi’s position as the Korean naval commander, a tablet on which orders were given and delivered by a messenger, a flag used to boost the fighting spirit, a trumpet used to command an army, etc. The eight gifts, designated as Treasure No. 440, are on display in the Exhibition Hall along with the funeral address by the king, Admiral Yi’s writing, and more.

Gwanghanru houses a pavilion with a monument inside, Gyeongchungje, and Sungmudang . The shrine where Admiral Yi’s tablet is kept is behind Nasammun

213 Myeongjeong-dong, Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnam-dodetail view

Other Information

Tour Routes

Day 1
    Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea Promotion Center → Chungminsa (2.7 km, 10 min) Chungminsa → Jinnamgwan (2.8 km, 10 min) Jinnamgwan → Shipbuilding Yard (8.2 km, 25 min) Shipbuilding Yard → Suncheon Japanese Castle (23.3 km, 40 min) Shipbuilding Yard – National Highway 17 – Yeosu Airport – Yulchon Industrial Complex – Suncheon Japanese Castle Suncheon Japanese Castle → Hotel in Gwangyang (20 km, 30 min) Suncheon Japanese Castle – Namhae Expressway Donggwanyang IC – Container Terminal Junction – Container Junction – Hotel in Gwangyang
Day 2
    Gwangyang Steelworks → Namhae Chungryeolsa Shrine (23 km, 30 min) Gwangyang Steelworks – Geumhoro – Taeingyo Samgeori –Seomjindaegyo Bridge on National Highway 59 – Namhae-bound Gyecheon Junction – Namhaedaegyo Bridge on National Highway 19 – Noryang Samgeori – Noryangro – Namhae Chungryeolsa Namhae Chungryeolssa → Gwaneumpo (site of Admiral Yi’s death) (4.5 km, 8 min) Namhae Chungryeolsa – Noryangro – Noryang Samgeori – Namhae Expressway – Gwaneumpo Gwaneumpo → Yi Sun-sin Theater (0.2 km, 2 min walk)
Day 3
    Jijok Fishing Village → Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island (13.4 km, 19 min) Jijok Fishing Village – Jijok Samgeori – Changseondaegyo Bridge on National Highway 19 – Danhang Junction - Seoburo - Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island → Mireuksan Mountain Aerial Lift Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island – Tongyeong IC on Daejeon-Tongyeong Expressway – Mineul Samgeori – Tongyeong Haeanro - Balgaero - Mireuksan Aerial Lift Mireuksan Aerial Lift → Tongyeong Youth Center (800 m, 2 min) Mireuksan Aerial Lift - Balgaero - Tongyeong Youth Center
Day 4
    Cruise Boat Terminal → Sebyeonggwan (5 km, 10 min) Cruise Boat Terminal - Donamro - Yeohwangro - Seomunro - Sebyeongro - Sebyeonggwan Sebyeonggwan → Chungryeolsa (710 m, 2 min) Sebyeonggwan - Sebyeongro - Seomunro – Chungryeolsa

Useful tips

The parking lot in front of the Wanghubak Tree on Changseon Island is not spacious enough to accommodate more than three compact cars. Buses can be parked by the two-lane road at the entrance to the village or below Changseondaegyo Bridge.

Those who wish to visit Jeseungdang on Hansan Island by boat are urged to make reservations in advance. Groups of over 200 are recommended to ride cruise boats at the Cruise Boat Terminal as more boats are available from there. The ferry terminal offers commuter ferries to many islands near Tongyeong, while the cruise boat terminal offers cruise boats and ferries to Hansan Island only.

In the case where ferries are grounded due to bad weather conditions, a good tour course is to visit the undersea tunnel, Chakryangmyo Shrine, which was built to honor Admiral Yi, and Cheongma Hall nearby. Since there is no parking lot for buses near Sebyeonggwan in Tongyeong, it is safer to park buses near the next destination, Chungryeolsa, rather than to park by the road. Sebyeonggwan is only 7 minutes away from Chungryeolsa on foot.

Recommended Accommodations

Gwangyang
  1. 1) Renaissance Motel Located across from the Gwangyang Fire Station, the Renaissance Motel has 45 guest rooms. / 061-795-1700
  2. 2) Swiss Motel The Swiss Motel consists of 35 guest rooms and stands near the Lobis Motel . It caters to group tourists. / 061-792-9680 /光陽市馬洞1112-1
  3. 3) Lobis Motel The Lobis Motel near Figaro Golf is equipped with 31 guestrooms./ 061-793-9933
Namhae
  1. 1) Namhae Youth Hostel Namhae Youth Hostel can accommodate up to 500 guests and the cafeteria can cater up to 200 people at a time. / 055-867-4848
  2. 2) Hallyeo Youth Hostel Hallyeo Youth Hostel can accommodate up to 700 guests and the cafeteria can cater up to 250 people at a time./ 055-867-4510
  3. 3) Namhae Bada Youth Hostel Namhae Bada Youth Hostel can accommodate up to 250 guests and the cafeteria can cater for up to 240 people at a time./ 055-867-4849
  4. 4) Gaetmaeul Beachtel Gaetmaeul Beachtel consists of a motel with 27 guestrooms and a pension that can accommodate up to 100 guests. A total of 200 guests can stay at this hotel at a time./ 055-863-5035
Tongyeong
  1. 1)Tongyeong City Youth Center Located in Donam-dong, the Tongyeong City Youth Center can accommodate up to 500 guests and the cafeteria can cater up to 220 guests at a time./ 055-646-7925 / http://tyyouth.or.kr/
  2. 2) Wins Motel  061-648-8980 This motel across from the ferry terminal is equipped with 40 guestrooms.
  3. 3) Rivera Motel  055-642-0055 Located next to the ferry terminal, the Rivera Motel has 28 guestrooms and two spacious suites on the 7th floor.

Restaurants

Pungmijeong (061-793-9999) near Gwangyang City Hall can serve up to 120 customers at a time and features soybean paste soup and kimchi soup, as well as meat dishes. Namhae Hanu Plaza (055-863-9292) is spacious enough to accommodate up to 300 guests at a time and serves galbitang (beef rib soup) for 4,000 won. Gwaneumpo Garden (055-863-2056) by the sea in Galhwa-ri Gohyeon-myeon can accommodate up to 200 people and is well known for soybean paste soup, and shrimp and brown seaweed soup. Buffet Cheong (055-863-4471) in Bukbyeon-ri Namgae-eup can serve up to 550 customers at a time and is buffet style. Tonyeong Haemul Bapsang (055-793-7474) in Jangpyeong-ri Yongnam-myeon features some 20 oyster and sashimi dishes and can serve up to 300 people at a time.

list